Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Kan Ani Noladti



Here is my home, here I was born
On the plain which is by the shore.
Here are the friends who I grew up with
And I have no other place in the world.
I have no other place in the world.

Here is my home, here I played
In the lowland which is near the mountain.
Here I drank water from the well
And planted grass in the desert.
And planted grass in the desert.

Chorus:
Here I was born.
Here my children were born to me.
Here I built my house - with my own two hands.
Here, you're also with me
And here are all of my thousand friends.
And after 2,000 years -
My wanderings are over.

Here I played all of my songs
And went on a night journey.
Here in my youth I defended
The land of my God.
The land of my God.

(Chorus)

Here I set my table.
A piece of bread, a fresh flower.
I opened the door for my neighbors
And whoever comes, we'll greet “Ahalan!*”
And whoever comes, we'll greet “Ahalan!”

(Chorus)

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful message :) Actually, I read the lyrics first and got misty eyed. Does "Ahalan" mean welcome home, home at last or something along those lines?

    I go to your photo blog and sometimes forget where you were born. Then I see a post such as this and am incredibly moved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it means welcome inside, it's derived from the arabic, ahalan is arabic for ohel

    ReplyDelete
  3. the song was commonly associated with the peace accords with egypt, hence the use of ahalan

    ReplyDelete
  4. TY for translating :)

    Heartbreaking to think of the many times Israel has welcomed Arabs and been stabbed in the back.

    ReplyDelete